In response to the escalating temperatures this summer, CHPA will always have the welfare of the working cart horses as a priority.
CHPA has implemented “Operation Scorcher” which is explained below:
- CHPA monitors the weather on a daily basis, in summer and winter.
- When temperatures are expected to rise, all cart horse owners are notified by WhatsApp and in person for them not to work.
- Unfortunately, there are some owners who do not comply.
- For those that do comply and are in need of feed because they can’t work, CHPA will always assist with feed relief.
- Our Inspectors will patrol the areas where the cart horses work.
- We network with Neighborhood Watch groups and ask them to escort working cart horses out of the areas and send them home.
- When found working on our patrols, CHPA will also send the cart horse’s home.
- If you do see a working cart horse, please get in touch with your Neighborhood Watch group to escort them out of the area, please do not approach them directly!
- For emergencies, please call us on 082 6 599 599. We are a small organization that covers a large area, so we rely on the public to be our eyes and ears on the road.
- If you need to send us a WhatsApp, please use 076 543 7949.
- Please do not post emergencies on Messenger or Facebook, as this platform is not manned all the time.
- Please be sure to take down as much detail as possible about the cart horse, especially the board at the back.